Saturday 14 August 2010

Losing The Will To Live


Had Monday off this week so found myself waking up in Somerset on Monday morning, the sun was shining and I was feeling well relaxed; decided to indulge in some shopping on my to and out of Bristol.

First stop was my favourite cider farm Thatchers where I picked up a couple of 12 packs of my regular brews – trauma free, relaxed mode continues.

Next stop was to invest in some CD/DVD storage racks, described as being 2.02m in height; slightly apprehensive about whether they would fit in the car – all depended on if they were a complete length or came in two pieces. Unfortunately for me the location of these racks was in the labyrinthine halls of IKEA, arrived around 11:00 and the car park must have been 90% full – bad omen; 20 mins of shuffling round and I finally found them and the news was bad. They were single pieces of wood and with packaging would probably not fit in the car.

Managed to pick up some glasses and plastic storage containers for less than £5 so my time was not completely wasted; reached the part of the store where you collect your larger item and had to make a decision. Get them and if they did not fit have to endure the torture of the IKEA returns process or cut and run before I had totally lost the will to live.

No contest, 10 mins later I was on the road heading for the M4, listening to a friend’s band on the mp3 player driving the sound system and as Bristol fell behind in the rear view I could feel my spirits rising once more.

2 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Ikea. I generally know exactly what I want when I go in, and many's been the time I spent longer in line to check out than I spent making my selections. Most distressing.

DBA Dude said...

Phlegmmy, They do stock some good stuff pretty cheap, but the whole experience leaves me feeling like a battery chicken that has managed to escape the farm when I get past the check out.