Tuesday 4 March 2008

Multiple Pop Ups?

One of my readers complained that every time they tried to access my blog last week they were infested with multiple pop up windows and they wondered if my site was being hacked.

Tried it on dial up and it seemed OK to me, but then I use Firefox with the wonderful NoScript add on. Then tried it with IE7 on the LAN connection and again no pop ups.

Geek Aside. When you use NoScript the first time that you visit a site it stops all scripts from running unless you allow them, giving you the choice of enabling that site permanently or temporarily. This lets you see exactly what is going on and makes browsing more secure – the only slightly dodgy thing that I could see trying to run on mine is a tracking site called specificclick.net which originates out of SiteMeter so I may well be switching to another stats counter sometime in the near future.

So the question is has anyone else seen multiple pop ups here or is it only an Internet Explorer 6 phenomenon? Answers on a postcard please.

8 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

Like you, I use FireFox. So, no pop-ups/unders or whatever

Sezme said...

No pop ups. I use FireFox, too. However, even the "a pop-up was stopped" thing that comes up doesn't appear, either.

DBA Dude said...

pd & rt, Thanks, Firefox - quicker, safer, better and not part of the "Evil Empire".

McNoddy said...

Yep another FF convert and I also use NoScript - does that make me a geek to?

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Geek no - security aware, yes.

Catmoves said...

AOL SE browser. No popups.
Will try in IE7 and Opera, if you'd like?

Catmoves said...

Using IE7. No popups.

DBA Dude said...

Cat, Thanks for your efforts - definitely looking like an IE 6 only problem.