Saturday 3 May 2008

Happy Birthday Spam

The first unsolicited email message was sent 30 years ago today to 400 “lucky” recipients on the West coast of the USA. Since that humble beginning it has mushroomed into a million dollar business with an estimated 100 billion plus spam mails being sent every day.

I had a Compuserve account from a long time back and when I finally closed it 3 years ago it was collecting 10 or more spams each day. My broadband ISP back home has much better filters and in 3 years I have less than a dozen spam mails, and my gmail account has yet to deliver one in 8 months of use.

Could well be tempting fate by disclosing this but reckon that I am covering myself by sending spam birthday greetings.

You can read the full story here.

4 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

My g-mail account associated with my blog gets about 300+ per day. The filters only let maybe one or two a month through. Thats not too bad. My other g-mail accounts haven't missed once in their filtering.

McNoddy said...

Spam spam spam spam.......

My personal hate is folk who fwd emails with abidy's email addys on them. Have folk never heard of BCC?

Sezme said...

My gmail filters really well.

"I don't like spam!"

Noddy stole my spam, spam, spam, spam song. Grrrr!

DBA Dude said...

pd, That is a pretty good level of service.

noddy, ken fit you are on aboot, hate those replay to abidy folks myself.

rt, shame on him, good catchy tune and lyrics though.