Tuesday 29 April 2008

Tagged Post

Got tagged by my pal Noddy, here are the rules:

1) Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4) Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

1. Worked in Kuwait for just over a year and was mightily unimpressed by the desert, had been expecting sweeping majestic dunes (a la Lawrence of Arabia) and what I saw could best be described as scruffy mounds. Was amazed by the transformation in February when after a few days rain all these flowers appeared out of nowhere carpeting the landscape, did not last too long.

2. While in Kuwait I played golf on a course where the greens were browns (sand mixed with oil and smoothed down between groups by a guy sitting under a tree all day) and the fairways were tarmac, only grass was the square of astroturf we carried with us. If the ball landed on the tarmac you could use the astroturf otherwise you played it from where it had landed.

3. When visiting Thailand in '83 I went to a Buddhist monastery and after making a donation was given an orange twine “bracelet” which had been blessed to provide me with protection from bullets. Wore it for the next 3 months of my trip and did not get shot once, had it for 20 years and never had any problems with bullets, lost it 5 years ago and have still had no difficulties with bullets!

4. My first car was a second hand Mark 2 Ford Capri, owned it for less than a year. It's main claim to fame is that it was stolen twice, came out of a friend's flat one night and it had gone. Phoned the police to report it and then had to go in and give them all the details (chassis number etc) the next morning, did not expect to hear from them so was amazed when they rang back that afternoon and said that the car had been seen parked up and gave me directions to find it. Only problem was that before we got there it had been stolen again, had to visit the police station the next day to supply them with all of the same information again. Finally turned up as a burnt out wreck 4 days later, rang the insurance company and let them handle it.

5. I am an expert tattie peeler (given the right implement), growing up in a small family run hotel the kitchen chores were there to be shared, must have peeled a bucket a day for more days than I can remember growing up – we were only open for 6 months a year so it was not all drudgery.

6. Have a scar on my left pinky caused by an accident with a glass breaking in a porcelain sink when I was around 14, my only distinguishing feature.

7. Do not wear jewellery/watch either – have we stumbled across some internet cabal of watch haters? We had better be careful or the Swiss watch manufacturers will be sending out hit squads to track us all down. Used to carry a small electric travel alarm clock as a timepiece but with the advent of mobile phones this became redundant.

I am not a tagger so I am body swerving the last two “rules”, if you want to join in then go right ahead.

3 comments:

McNoddy said...

Chicken!

You'll be glad to know we wouldn't make the same mistake round here with your car. When found we always make sure it is recovered from the scene with a Plod sitting patiently till it is.

Watches/jewellery - weird eh! I thought it was just me.

Sezme said...

Maybe it is a Scottish thing? My dad only started wearing a watch the past couple of years; however, he keeps it in his pocket.

The best part about peeling tatties is eating them! YUMMY!

(Can't say anyone has ever wanted to steal any of my vehicles. My current one has a low-jack system, though.)

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, That sounds dangerously close to providing a decent service, Thames Valley could learn a lot from you.

rt, You might be right there, that seems to be the consistent thing in our watch/jewellery hating cabal!