Wednesday 22 October 2008

Wills

I do not mean the foppish second in line to the throne over here, but wills as in recording your thoughts on what should happen when you “pop your clogs”. Have had a couple of friends pass this year and it set me to thinking about this subject, even if you do not have large amounts of stuff to dispose of setting down what you would like to happen after the event will make things a lot easier for those left behind.

What type of service and what format? Cremation or burial? Last resting place? Flowers or not? The lists just keep on coming.

Everyone's life comes to an end at sometime, it is the one certainty for us all and the least we can do for those we leave is to make the immediate aftermath a little less fraught with agonising decisions.

Have not yet finalised my thoughts but am much clearer on what I would like to occur; a non religious service, some music and maybe some readings from Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett to lighten the tone followed by a cremation and my ashes scattered in the Highlands.

Oh, and a large wad of cash behind the bar to pay for some Guinness and a few drams at the wake.

3 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

I've told my children that I expect everyone to wear purple at my funeral (my favourite colour - and it'll be my party!) and I want the ridiculously comic musc from 'Murder She Wrote' to be playing. It always makes me laugh.

I take it your interest in homicide is in the fictional variety? Or do you have an axe concealed about your person? I write crime fiction. Pop over to my blog, if you're interested. It would be great to hear from you there. Unless, of course, you do carry an axe with nefarious intent, in which case I might think twice about inviting you to visit my blog... but then again, I just have...

McNoddy said...

That's my kind of wake.

Will done years ago, which reminds me, it probably needs updated.

DBA Dude said...

Leigh, Yep, it is fictional homicide that interests me. Will drop by when I get the chance.

Noddy, Thought that you would approve of the "menu".