Friday 14 November 2008

Augustus Pablo

Was over at a friend's blog and came across a video which featured someone playing a melodica and that reminded me of the late great exponent of the instrument Augustus Pablo.

Originally a keyboard player he became entranced by the melodica and put this so called child's instrument to great use as a lead over reggae dub rhythms. Must have first come across him in the late seventies and from the outset I fell under the spell of his haunting solos – he always worked with the cream of Jamaican musicians and produced several excellent albums.

He sadly passed away in 1999 but he left behind a fine legacy in very distinctive reggae music, here is a live version of Java:



Here is a track from his classic East Of The River Nile album that I had never heard until today, it appeared as one of six bonus tracks when the CD was reissued in 2002 – that will teach me to “never” buy something that I already own on vinyl – Islington Rock.

No comments: