Saturday 29 November 2008

Toots Hibbert

Saw the movie This Is England this week, an interesting and at times uplifting account of a 12 year old boy's summer in 1983 in an unnamed English coastal town. It also contains a very dark central theme of racism and the far right which some might find a total turn off.

The film opens with a montage of scenes from the time set to one of my favourite Toots and The Maytalls tracks 54-46 Was My Number. Uplifting ska which brings a grin to my face every time I hear it or any one of their other tracks, always brings back memories of hot summer days – particularly appreciated on these dreich frozen November days.



Here is some footage of them doing Sweet And Dandy – which might have been lifted from the movie The Harder They Come, but it is so long since I have seen it that my memory cannot be relied upon.

No comments: