Sunday 15 March 2009

Banks

Thursday lunchtime I amble out of the office and pop in to a branch of my bank to hand over a cheque for £1,000 from my current account to pay my credit card bill – this is with the same bank. I am told by the young lady behind the counter that as they do not have my signature on file do I have any form of ID on me, passport or driving license? As we do not live in a police state – well not just yet but the government keep trying to nudge us in that direction – my answer is no.

WTF, it is my money going from one account to another at the same bank. Things go downhill from here, after checking with her manager she starts asking me security questions and I fail at the first fence – date of birth? Well that is not what they have on record for me I am told, now when using telephone banking over the last couple of years it has never been a problem.

The whole thing took around 15 minutes and left me feeling like a petty criminal – those fecking banks lose billions of pounds through management incompetence and treat long standing customers in a pretty shabby way.

Unless I receive an explanation and apology I will be taking my business elsewhere (already have a current account with a building society) – not closing the account though, just leaving it with £2.50 in it. That way it will cost them to administer it each year, posting out statements etc – and I will get the satisfaction of sticking it to them!

5 comments:

McNoddy said...

Name and shame.

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, They are the feckwits known as Lloyds TSB - spoke to a quine in a Welsh call centre yesterday who did apologise and they are going to try to sort it oot.

Not holding my breath though.

McNoddy said...

Sh1te yon's een o'my bankies.

Lin said...

Wish I could say it is better at other institutions. They all seem to be on the verge of asking us piker customer for retina scans lest we scam a few quid while their management and golden boys are losing millions and getting big bonuses for doing so. Ohhhh, don't get me going, lad!

Sezme said...

Nice rant!

It is like that here, too. Meh.