Wednesday 4 March 2009

Beer 119 – Young's – Special London Ale


Many years ago I came down South from the hills after graduating ro start work in the wonderfuel world of IT, I was a confirmed draught Guinness drinker and had not had a beer for several years. I had never tasted real ale before that time, my elder bro' introduced me to this fine brew and I have never looked back.

Still enjoy a good pint of the black stuff but great ales are easier to find down here. This is bottle conditioned for “a fresher taste” (according to the label) and has a light malty flavour without much hop taste coming through and could be described as an IPA; comes in at a stonking 6.4% abv and can sneak up on you as it is very easy to drink.

An American guy I was working with bought some shares in the brewery – not as an investment but to attend the Annual General Meeting which was followed by a drink as much as you like for free session at the brewery.

4 comments:

Sezme said...

That sounds like a very yummy beer. (See, there are smart Americans--heh.)

McNoddy said...

Young's turn out a few of my favourites cf Double chocolate, Winter warmer, Director's and Waggle Dance.

Every so often I need to have a different brew other than the wonderful black stuff.

DBA Dude said...

rt, There are smart people all over the world - but I fear that we are outnumbered by the stoopid :)

Noddy, The Double Chocolate is a fine drop.

However I think that you will find that Director's is a Courage brew. Used to be good until they closed the brewery in Central Reading which had it's own artesian well and moved out to the M4.

They tried to lay a pipe out to it but the council would not let them so the brewery capped the well.

McNoddy said...

You are behind the times...DIRECTORS IS NOW A YOUNGS BEER!