Wednesday 8 April 2009

Thank Feck Easter Has Arrived

I have been pretty lucky in my working life in IT to have never had to deal with a live financial system, systems software and a variety of “interesting” applications but never finance. This year that changed and since Thursday of last week I have been extracting data from the database, sticking it in spreadsheets to pass on to the “people” in finance after checking by the relevant application area managers.

You might think that after at least 10 years the process would have been automated so that you enter a couple of dates once and everything happened; not so, it involved entering dates 16 times and then running 4 or 8 menu options for the 52 application areas.

Then I had to try to get my brain around what the data was supposed to mean and that gave me a great urge to lie down under my desk until it was all over. Still at 15:30 I had completed the task and an hour later was heading to the station to find that the train showing 10 mins earlier as on time had been cancelled; cue crowded train and the icing on top was a couple of wailing small children sitting across the aisle.



The glass of cold Guinness at my side is an earned reward for another long day, 2 days to veg in the hoose and then a trip to Somerset to visit Hairy Nephew and Irish lass and drink some (well probably a lot) cider. Eldest Niece and Father Ted will be there along with little Lewis so a grand old time will be had.

1 comment:

Sezme said...

Happy Easter! :) Sorry you had a crappy end to the week. Hope you enjoyed time with your niece.