Saturday 24 January 2009

Happy 25th Macintosh

It was 25 years ago today that Apple released the first Macintosh on sale to the public and in terms of human interaction with computers it was a big leap forward with it's Graphical User Interface, mouse and one 3.5” floppy drive. Note for younger readers, back in those days a PC might come with a 10Mb hard drive if you had the funds or more likely a pair of 5.25” floppy drives where the disks were floppy!

At that time on a PC everything was driven from a Command Line Interface where the user had to know the name of the program that they wanted to run and any parameters that it required. It would take Microsoft another 6 years before they could produce a usable version of Windows in 3.x, however the first truly stable version of the operating system was Windows 2000 Professional which I used for 5 years without once experiencing the “Blue Screen of Death”.

Back in '84 I bought an Apricot F1 which came with a GUI, trackball mouse and 2 3.5” floppy disk drives, a cutting edge product for the time from a UK company. For that reason the Apple never really crossed my event horizon and to this day I have never had to use one, I know people who swear by them but Apple's closed system approach has always raised my hackles – see especially the iphone.

It would be curmudgeonly however not to offer Apple congratulations on sparking the revolution in consumer human/computer interaction that has brought us to where we are today. While I am happiest in front of a UNIX command prompt it is not the place for the average computer user who just wants to use them to perform other tasks.

5 comments:

Sezme said...

I remember when they came out a few lucky classmates had them. It was all way over my head. I didn't have my first personal computer until 11 years ago. A former professor had a Mac and gave it to me when she bought a new one. (Used to dogsit for her for free, so it was kind of a gift for it.)

McNoddy said...

If I mention the acronyms TOS and GEM you should be able to work out my first puter, if you don't count the Spectrum that is!

DBA Dude said...

rt, Cool and a much easer introduction to computers than a Windows machine of a similar vintage.

Noddy, Sounds like an Atari ST to me loon - very handy in a recording studio I remember.

McNoddy said...

STe to be precise.

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Mair info than I was looking for loon :)