Monday 25 May 2009

Roxy Music

Was over at a friend's place on Saturday and we were listening to a compilation of tracks from '73; there were many good tunes on there but the stand out track of the night for me was Street Life by Roxy Music.

They burst onto the UK musical scene in '72 and achieved a fair degree of success but their legacy is the influence that their unique musical style had on bands who came after them. With Bryan Ferry on vocals and writing most of the songs they had a natural leader, but the other musicians more than matched his talents; Phil Manzanera on guitar, Andy Makay on oboes and saxaphone, Paul Thompson on drums and the legendary Brian Eno on synthesiser and knob twiddling.

A pretty interesting dress sense as you might expect from an “Art College” band, here they are playing their first single.



Here is a more experimental piece (also from the first album) Ladytron.

8 comments:

Sezme said...

I think I got a contact high from them (especially Ladytron). Heh.

They were definitely influential. I could even hear their influence of the bands from Philadelphia that were big in the area in the late '70s and early to mid '80s.

I remember when VJ's on MTV kept talking about Roxy Music and their influence (yeah, back when MTV used to play music), but they hardly ever played Roxy Music, so it was lost on me. Not my cup of tea, but it is a shame when the influential groups don't really get their due and the ones influenced get all the recognition. (Hope that made sense.)

McNoddy said...

Ferry is the very essence of cool. I was a fan from the start and even have the picture disc version of Manifesto on vinyl. Check out the extensive library on Spotify.

Pyjamarama and More Than This stand out for me.

DBA Dude said...

rt, Indeed - perfect sense. Would recommend checking out Noddy's link but it did not work for me, try his 2nd pick - you might like that.

Noddy, Morning loon, the linky did nae work for me so I had to doonload the software and find the tracks the old fashioned way.

Great guitar work on More Than This.

Now, whit was I doing afore I got distracted? Just as weel I am on holiday today!

McNoddy said...

You mean you didn't already have Spotify?

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Nae loon, have to confess tae being a luddite when it comes to music. Did not buy a CD player until '95 and can never imagine buying a mp3 player - vinyl rools!

McNoddy said...

Actually, when I started Spotifying, I found a few golden oldies I'd forgotten about and I may just have to get the vinyl back out again and the Sansui SR222 rotating!

McNoddy said...

BTW

PIC.

My tunes!

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Pretty interesting playlist - you have a bunch of stuff there that would end up on mine - not the Celine Dion mind. When I get the time and have fleshed mine out I will send you a linky.

Wow, a 2 speed turntable - I am impressed. Mine only plays at 33 and being tight (and only owning 3 45s) have never purchased the expensive upgrade for my Linn.