Sunday 17 August 2008

Mark Kermode - The Dark Knight

There has been some brouhaha in the printed media recently about the 12A certificate given to this movie, the gist of it being that parents have taken children under the age of 12 to see it and they have been scared witless. Various media watch groups have taken the opportunity to pour opprobrium on the BBFC for not giving it a more restricted classification.

As the good doctor pointed out again on Friday the key sentence in the guide to the classification is “Responsibility for allowing under-12s to view lies with the accompanying or supervising adult. “ .

This leaves no wriggle room for those people who have taken children under 12 to see it, grow up and accept the responsibility for your actions.

Still. it gives me an excuse to include Mark's review of the film:

3 comments:

Sezme said...

I saw a lot of kids with parents when I went to see the movie. Kids really have no business being at movies rated for ages older than what they are.

Call me old-fashioned.

DBA Dude said...

rt, what gets my goat is that the parents refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and try to blame someone else.

Sezme said...

Exactly. Just tell your child that he/she is not seeing something "you" consider inappropriate at that time.

I wasn't allowed to see a lot of things, even popular television shows when I was growing up. I turned to music and read a lot. I also learned to use my imagination, too.

So many parents are afraid to disappoint their kids and forget that parenting involves saying no.