Wednesday 6 August 2008

Olympic Free Zone

With the exception of this post this blog is an Olympic Free Zone, even if it is subject to terrorist attacks, typhoons, plagues of locusts or incredibly amusing tales they will not be mentioned here.

Wish I could say the same about the rest of the media here, the BBC are planning wall to wall coverage on their 2 terrestrial channels and talk radio station plus their web site. Interestingly their team out there will be 100 larger than our “athletes”, which attracted many derisory comments when it was revealed.

The other channels will have some coverage in their news bulletins and no doubt will send some anchors out there to cover the games and news stories around them. I cannot see the point behind this (apart from giving the anchors a free holiday in one of the pollution capitals of the world), but they will all be at it. Print media – same sort of story but at least you can elect not to buy them for 16 days.

Am not sure when my disillusionment about this event first started to set in but lets say that it came to fruition with Ben Johnson in '88 and little has occurred since then to make me change my mind. It is sad that clean “athletes” are tainted by the actions of others but the reality is that the drug cheats are always one test ahead of the game.

Rant over, normal posting will resume.

2 comments:

Sezme said...

I've accepted an invitation for a family (my family) dinner and viewing of the opening ceremonies. Don't think I'll watch more than that. I think the winter games are more interesting.

I'll be sure to not mention the "O" word for fear of sending you into some kind of fit or something. :)

I'm sure you'll be able to avoid it. When did your media turn into our media? Poor folks.

DBA Dude said...

rt, I am heading West later today and will be safely at a cricket match all day tomorrow!

Media globalistion - yet another curse we all have to suffer.