Tuesday 5 August 2008

You Could Not Make This Up

A family with five children flying from Tel Aviv to Paris manage to leave their 4 year old daughter in the duty free shop and only become aware of this when they are informed by the captain of the aircraft (20 mins into the flight according to the policeman I heard on the radio). Their “excuse” of sitting separately might mitigate their actions for some but I say WTF, they must have been sitting together in the departure lounge! Read it all here.

Australians display good taste and demolish national stereotypes by rejecting the the Starbucks marketing machine.

As if things were not bad enough out there, now we have a “celebrity” chef trying to poison us all.

The headline for this story is Germany Hails 'bullet-proof bra', a more accurate one would have been “bullet friendly” bra.

3 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Wonder if that bra has pockets in it, for baby bats?

Sezme said...

1. The parents: Maybe I'm just a worrier, but I'd be constantly checking to see if all of the kids were with us/me all of the time, especially at an airport. Dumb.

2. Starbucks: I think because of how our towns and such are set up with no real downtown area in most places, it did give people a "meeting" place of sorts. (Instead of socializing in homes and at church...Starbucks-ha!) When I was in college I'd drive down the road to Princeton to sit in Starbucks to study and do my reading & notes. I could people watch and get my work done for hours without the deafening silence of the library and the temptation to nap in my room. We have Starbucks in some of our grocery stores, stand-alone department stores, and book stores. Personally, I don't understand why people go there just for coffee when they could make it at home.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so it is rare that I get my mocha frap (had a $25 gift card last a year if that is any indication), but there are people that go every morning. Why? For the cup?

What has been happening is that people have been going elsewhere for their coffee because of what is akin to the article stating that it is not a special experience/too standardized and such. They've had to close many stores in the U.S., too.

3. The chef: I'm sure an honest mistake was made, but doesn't the magazine fact-check and try the recipe, first? Most of the time that is supposed to be done. I wonder how many people tried it.

4. The bra: Ummm....anyone can buy bras that look like that if they go into a normal clothing store. The only thing unique is "polizei". Can't they just suggest a type of bra for the female officers' safety? Geesh. (A whole article dedicated to this?)

DBA Dude said...

GNG, ROFL - good idea, maybe I should write them?

rt, Have only ever been in one Starbucks, this was when I was in Jakarta and needed some wi-fi access. That was overpriced as was the coffee, found another local outlet where the wi-fi was free and the coffee came at a much more reasonable price.