Saturday 19 July 2008

Air Rage

Read about yet another drunken Brit causing chaos in the sky yesterday by trying to open an emergency exit at 40,000 feet.

Then this morning at Paradise Driver's place read of another attempt to do the same thing in the US. At least this guy was not drunk but only suffering from mental health problems.

It reminded me of my flight back from Bali to Jakarta with lil' bro' earlier this year, we were sat by one of the emergency exits and before take off the stewardess came over and explained to us how to open the door in the event of an emergency.

Was aware that the EU had banned Garuda (Indonesian national carrier) from flying into Europe last year over a poor safety record but thought that getting these instructions was a wee bit worrying. On the occasions when I have flown in or just behind these seats I had never heard anyone being told how to open the door, so it came as a big surprise.

The flight passed without incident but those instructions will stay with me for some time.

2 comments:

Sezme said...

Aside from alcohol or medication causing people issues when they are on a plane, I can't imagine just how much turmoil must be occurring on the inside for that stuff to happen. My last plane ride had me next to the engines (a 727?) and I have really sensitive ears. My head was in my lap and I cried from Detroit to Philadelphia. It just hurt that much. (I was 18 and traveling alone and I'm sure that didn't help.)

How scary that kind of "snappage" must be for passengers to witness and in some cases, subdue.

Eeek!

DBA Dude said...

rt, Flying these days is very unpleasant with all the security checks and baggage restrictions - throw in someone going off like these guys and it becomes a living hell.