Tuesday 8 July 2008

Old One Eye

Now, I have always had fish down there in the “none to bright” department of the animal kingdom but those living in the fish pond out the back at lil bro's place changed my mind. Any time the shadow of a biped crossed their domain the would swim around in a frenzy underneath it expecting food to fall down from the heights.

They would ignore the dog's shadow if he stopped on the small bridge over them, but any human would set them off. We noticed one day after I had been there a while that the large grey coloured one only had one eye – did not appear to hinder his ability to feed as he was one of the largest in the pond.

Getting a decent snap of him proved to be a challenge, did not help that they would circle at a fast pace, eventually managed to get this one which is not brilliant but does show it's lack of a second eye.

4 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Good picture. It can't be easy to get a picture of fish, what with the water and the swimming. It looks great.

Sezme said...

It is funny how quickly critters get used to people feeding them.

My dad feeds the squirrels and birds at his house with bread/rolls from our lunches, pretzel sticks, and oatmeal cookies. Some days when he goes out and sits on his steps, just to get some sun, the come within feet of him and stare at him like, "Where's the food?"

Funny.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Love the photo. I'd totally hang that in my house, even right over the mantle, which has nothing over it, right now.

I like to pretend that my fish love me, as the come "running" when I step near the aquarium...but that your brother's fish ignore the dog is quite...thought provoking.

I'll have to watch what they do when the cat drinks out of the filter..

Again: great pic. Frame it!

DBA Dude said...

CBL, thanks for that thought.

rt, Weird, we used to have a red squirrel that came up to our back door out of the forest to get fed - got very tame after a couple of years.

GNG, You should have seen the others that I had to take before I got that one half way to where I wanted - and keep an eye on that cat!