Sunday 1 February 2009

Locusts and Other News

Scientists in the UK and Australia have discovered the reason for locusts swarming, it turns out that locusts are by nature solitary creatures but if food runs short they start to gather together. This causes an increase in their Serotonin levels which in addition to causing physical changes turns them into aggressive swarm mode.

The scientists are hoping that now they understand the cause they may be able to stop swarms if they can find some way of depressing the Serotonin levels in the future.

Amazon's profits rose by 9% in the last 3 months of 2008 compared to the same period in 2007 - if like me you are no fan of the crowded shopping experience then this will come as no surprise. Good prices and the most stress free shopping I have ever performed make them the first stop retailer for a lot of people – also great to read some cheering economic news for a change.

1 comment:

Sezme said...

Hmmm....maybe they should figure out why the food is running out? Keep 'em fed. (Tired, idiotic response, I guess.)

I love shopping online. I only have three or for non-mall stores I go into these days. The idea of stepping more than a couple of stores into a mall makes me a bit anxious.