Monday 2 February 2009

Snow


Woke up this morning to find that just over 2” of the white stuff had fallen overnight to provide a seasonal blanket for everything. Now in the Highlands at this time of year such a fall would pass without comment and the roads would have been cleared before most people had to go out in the morning.

However down in the deep South of England this is being described as the heaviest fall for 18 years and it has caused chaos on the roads, at airports (all BA flights out of Heathrow cancelled until 17:00) and to train services. I decided that catching the 08:44 train to local big city might get me around the problem but I was dead wrong.

After trudging to the station (a pleasant 1 mile walk) I arrived to be told that there would be no trains going my way for at least an hour so I tramped back to DBA cottages, made another cafetiere of coffee and hunkered down in front of the gas fire.

Within 10 mins the train information web site had returned from it's early morning crash and I could see that the 09:44 service was running but 28 minutes late. According to the site it turned up 40 mins late, rather than face the hordes on the 10:44 one I decided to monitor it's progress and if it was running on time go for the one an hour later – only problem with this plan was the web site crashing again.

When it returned after a 15 minute delay that train had gone from the listings so I was good to go on the 11:44 – which turned up 20 minutes late, but at least it turned up.

No snow forecast for tonight but what remains is due to freeze overnight so the pavements should be good and slippy tomorrow morning

4 comments:

Sezme said...

I like looking at snow; however, I do not like to trudge through it or drive 40 miles to work in it. We're expecting some more.

I saw some neat pictures of the snow in England. The kids must have had a ball!

DBA Dude said...

rt, The kids were the only ones I think - my friends 10 year old got the day off 'cos her school was closed and had a whale of a time playing in the white stuff.

Tam said...

I wonder if Al was visiting England?

DBA Dude said...

Tam, Don't know about that but if he was he must have moved on to the Highlands of Scotland, as my home town has had 3' of snow fall over the last two nights.