Thursday 7 February 2008

Book Meme

My blogging buddy Phlegmmy tagged me with this bookish meme causing me to waste a few hours in thought at the keyboard.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

DI John Rebus, Ford Prefect and Nanny Ogg – on a pub crawl in Edinburgh ending in a curry house.

You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Titus Groan, have tried reading it twice and gave up on both occasions – nothing seemed to be happening. One of only two books that I have never finished.

Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?

No, I don't do that – proud of my Celtic barbarian status and happy to profess my ignorance.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't? Which book?

Nope.

You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (if you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP.

VIPs read? OK then, The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Spanish, as I have read some great novels in translation and would like to be able to try the originals and it would come in handy travelling in Central and South America.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick. A cracking story that is really well written.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

In Fury Born by David Weber – had never heard of him but bought this late last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

A room of around 20'x20' with a large picture window at one end where the hi-fi sits, in the middle a large oak coffee table surrounded by a comfy sofa and two chairs. The walls have free standing bookcases in oak which rise to a height of 8', they are full to bursting with a mix of hardbacks, paperbacks and graphic novels (no leather in sight) and the 20 volume Oxford English Dictionary/

Phew that took longer than I thought it would, am not going to tag anyone but if you want to play as well then go ahead,

8 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

"proud of my Celtic barbarian status and happy to profess my ignorance"

Oh, so THAT is why I'm not embarrassed to profess my ignorance! I always sort of chalked it up to faulty wiring.

Great job! I'll have to read that Dick novel, and soon. :)

Christina RN LMT said...

Yay, you discovered David Weber!
But there are so many OTHER Weber books out there, are you planning on reading those, too? I sure hope so...

DBA Dude said...

Phlegmmy, Glad to have sorted that one out for you.

Christina, Sure plan to, any that you would recommend?

Sezme said...

If I had a magic fairy tell me that I could read a book once a year, every year, I'd laugh. I read the same books twice a year, every year. HA!

If I had to choose, though, I'd choose either The Great Gatsby or Frankenstein. Each time I read those books (or have read those books) I find things that I did not see during the last read.

DBA Dude said...

rt, well as long as you get some choice of which books to reread that cannot be a bad thing.

That is the thing about good books - always something new on each read.

Christina RN LMT said...

The Honor Harrington series. It starts with "On Basilisk Station".

Excellent character and universe building. Great adventure, too!

Also the "Empire of Man" series he wrote in collaboration with John Ringo, starts with "March Upcountry". I love space opera and military SF!

Lin said...

Thanks for some good reading hints. I will pass these on to my Katlady, former bookseller and maven of used book procurement. She sends me 'care packages', you know.

I very much liked your ideal library as well. The remnants of our former comfortable library now only exist in corrugate boxes in the moving trailer. But maybe the new buildings will see that beloved Phoenix arise.

DBA Dude said...

Lin, You get care packages of books? Glad to hear that you are not totally cut off out there.

Sounds like good usage of part of one of the new buildings - just have to wait for better weather.