Tuesday 5 February 2008

Feist

I love it when I come across a musician that is new to me and instantly connect with their work. That happened to me last Friday when I came across Leslie Feist for the first time on Jools Holland's show.

Great voice, interesting songs and some intriguing musical instruments in the mix made for a stunning introduction. A far superior addition to the canon of female Canadian singers than Celine Dion I feel sure that this girl will go far.

She is up for 4 Grammy nominations this year, rounding off an excellent year for her that started snowballing after 1234 was used in an ad for the ipod nano. And any artist who cites PJ Harvey as a musical reference is going to get a good reception from me.

So thanks to those UK “YouTubers” (or whatever the term is) for posting the following clips (the last one was not broadcast on the night).

She started with My Moon, My Man and then played Sealion and for a bonus we get 1234.

3 comments:

Sezme said...

I really liked "Sealion." It was nice to hear something other than
"1234." I like it, but I've heard the commercial so much.

phlegmfatale said...

Fantastic Southern Gospel feel on Sea Lion. Love the vibes on The Water - great sound, great structure there-- sounds like the beautiful latter-day daughter of Modern Jazz Quartet. I hear a thread of Polly Jean running through it, which is wonderful, yet not derivative. Very original voice. Great stuff.

DBA Dude said...

rt, I am lucky never to have seen/heard the commercial so I find the brass on the tune pretty refreshing - like Sealion more.

Phlegmmy, Thought that you would like her.