Friday 12 September 2008

David Bowie

My short lived career as ticket sales agent/bus operator started and ended while I was still at school, it was back in '73 and David Bowie was doing his Ziggie Stardust tour of the UK, we were 80 odd miles west of Aberdeen which was the most northerly stop of the tour.

A few of us were interested in attending and one of us had an uncle who worked for the local bus company, he found out that if we could get 30 bodies on board we could hire a coach to take us there and back for a reasonable price.

I vaguely remember advertising around the school to get the numbers up and that we achieved them with ease, money was collected, tickets purchased and the coach was booked

It was a great night, the music was fantastic and a bunch of under age kids had too much to drink but there were no problems and every one returned home safely – this event kick started my life long affair with major gigs, but I have no idea how we managed it.

“My brain hurt like a warehouse”

Here is the opening track from the album Five Years:



This trip down memory lane ended up with me spending way too much time on YouTube this morning, here is a live performance of Suffragette City from '73.

Long before anyone had head of “MadDonner” Bowie was at the forefront of artists constantly reinventing themselves with every album release.

4 comments:

Sezme said...

That is a man that has had quite a colorful life and career.

While I have never owned any of his music, Bowie has been someone who doesn't make me turn the dial on my radio to avoid him. His music, while catchy and all, still has something of substance to it. He is a real talent.

Madonna? She can't sing, dances weird, and has only made millions by demeaning herself (she'd call it asserting her power; I call it cheap).

DBA Dude said...

rt, I have most of the early albums and have always had a soft spot for him. The less said about the MadKebab lady the better :)

McNoddy said...

He played at my school back in the early 70's and I mean early 70's! Have all his early albums, "Man who sold the world" being the best!

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Where did you go to school - Gordonstoun? :)