Saturday 6 September 2008

Ry Cooder

One of the finest guitarists to emerge from the USA, I have been a big fan since the early seventies as the vinyl on my shelf confirms. His solo work is pretty impressive but one of his lasting legacies will be the way that he brought musicians from around the world to greater public attention.

Buena Vista Social Club is arguably the best known of these (and one that I enjoy) but my personal favourite is Talking Timbuktu his 1994 collaboration with Ali Farka Touré

All of these clips are from 1973, looks like he only packed the one shirt and bandanna for the trip, starts off with some fine slide playing on Vigilante Man.



Then we get some wizard mandolin playing on Goin' To Brownsville, and we end up with some more guitar on Jesus On The Mainline.

4 comments:

Sezme said...

I really liked how he played slide guitar.

I'd never heard of him. The last name sounds familiar, but it also sounds like the name of a local musician I heard discussed quite often on a local radio station.

Good stuff. :)

DBA Dude said...

rt, His back catalogue is well worth exploring - especially if you can pick them up at discount prices :)

phlegmfatale said...

Ry's so incredibly talented,and BVSC is one of my all-time favorite recordings. Brilliant musician.

DBA Dude said...

Phlegmmy, I agree, a top bloke in so many ways.