Tuesday 29 January 2008

Billy Bragg

Was chatting with a close friend over the weekend and the subject of Billy Bragg came up, I own his first four albums but had not given any of them a spin for some time so I spent a bit of time with them yesterday.

He first came to my attention in ‘83 (that man Peel again) and his style of performing (just his voice and his electric guitar) struck a chord in my ears. He has always been deeply political, very left wing but even his more political songs are lightened by his concern for the plight of the ordinary working man/woman - bit like a kind of post punk Woody Guthrie figure.

The first song is A New England from his first release, apologies for the cheesy eighties video but it was the best sounding version that I found which illustrates his pared down style. Kirsty MccColl had a hit with this one in ‘85 - her version was much poppier but Billy did write an extra verse or two for her.

Next one is The Milkman Of Human Kindness (also taken from his debut release).

Tried to find a clip of A13 (his tribute to Route 66 and other classic American road songs) but the only one I could find was dodgy in sound quality and the visuals were no great shakes.

Also known as the Big Nosed Bard Of Barking for very obvious reasons.

4 comments:

Sezme said...

A New England: Ahhhhhhhh the early days of people findng themselves hosting a video show. HA!

Sorry, I'm stuck on the fact that these people are in their late 30's/early-mid 40's.

Milkman of Human Kindness: I really liked the lyrics.

phlegmfatale said...

A New England is one of my all-time favorites, as is Milkman of Human Kindness. Great to see these linked on my first day back in the 21st century.

phlegmfatale said...

and one more thing-- is it wrong to wish on space hardware?

DBA Dude said...

rt, there wa some very dodgy hairstyles going on there, and I suspect they would be cringing looking back now.

Phlegmmy, Happy to raise a smile.

No, I do it myself every time I am lucky enoigh to see the space station crossing the sky.