Tuesday 15 January 2008

In Praise of HBO

Most of the truly great dramas that we have imported over here in recent years have been produced by this fine organisation - judged only on the quality of their output.

The first one that I saw was Oz, a very gritty drama set in a maximum security prison.

Then came The Sopranos, I have no idea how close this comes to the reality of “mob” life but the juxtaposition of violence with their obsession over food and family made for compelling viewing.

Then my personal favourite The Wire which I have posted on in the past so we will move on swiftly.

There are many others, Six Feet Under, Deadwood (best Western series ever made?), Band Of Bothers and Rome to name but a few.

It is likely that they have made some stinkers, but if so we have been screened from them over here. What they have not made is a Sci-Fi series of any substance - memo to self, write a series outline for one and email it to them.

Having raised the bar the other networks have been forced to follow, would the likes of House or The Shield have been made if HBO did not exist - I for one do not think so.

2 comments:

Sezme said...

I used to have HBO. I've watched those shows (except for Deadwood)...all good and well made.

The Sopranos is not far off. Trust me.

DBA Dude said...

rt, Deadwood is worth catching if it airs somewhere else - very gritty portrayal of life in a gold mining town.

"not far off" - I will take your word on it as a NJ native.