Wednesday 10 October 2007

Cloud Appreciation Society

Heard about this lot today and having checked out their website it is well worth a visit. There over 3,000 pics available up there, and I reproduce one of the paragraphs from their manifesto:

“ Clouds are so commonplace that their beauty is often overlooked.
They are for dreamers and their contemplation benefits the soul.
Indeed, all who consider the shapes they see in them will save
on psychoanalysis bills.

I really like the idea of a society that is dedicated to clouds and found myself endorsing a large part of the manifesto. It was hard to tear myself away after 45 minutes had flashed by.

So here are some of my favourites from my first visit, Grim Reaper, Salvador Dali, Lightening Strike, Cool Image, Noctilucent Clouds.

Noctilucent means “visible at night” (that old Latin education of mine comes in handy even after all those years) but in the world of meteorology it is “(of high-altitude clouds) visible during the short night of the summer”.

So head over and check them out here.

5 comments:

Sezme said...

That was really interesting and cool!

I used to live in North Carolina for a brief period and I was a receptionist. My view of the world outside was a two-story window in the lobby. I loved watching the clouds go by.

There are times that I just love to look up at the clouds. My favorites are when shafts of light stream down through cracks in the clouds.

DBA Dude said...

You can have a lot of fun watching clouds go by - and there is no admission charge :)

Sezme said...

Well, think of it. You can pick your favorite grassy spot, kick back, and enjoy a good beverage while watching a free show. ;)

Miz Minka said...

I've been known to take a hundred or so pictures of clouds at a time... When there's a good storm blowing in from the west, I always take my camera with me while out and about, just in case. I had heard of the Cloud Appreciation Society years ago, but had forgotten all about them. Thanks for the reminder!

DBA Dude said...

You are welcome Miz.