Wednesday 17 October 2007

Groove Armada

Marks & Spencer have been running a TV advert campaign all summer for various parts of their food range, when I started to think about the background music they were using I realised that I knew that tune.

Took me a couple of weeks to figure out what it was as I do not watch much TV with commercials (video them and then FF through the breaks by choice).

It is At The River by Groove Armada, and for any of my younger readers the “strange device” in the video is called a turntable

These were (and in some cases continue to be) widely used to play music in the “dark ages” before CD players were invented. Many audiophiles/”luddites” remain convinced that with a good turntable a richer quality of sound can be produced compared to a CD player.

I fall into this class, it was 1994 before I purchased a CD player and my Linn LP12 (happy 23rd birthday) deck can still kick it’s ass to this day.

3 comments:

Sezme said...

That is definitely a song that one can listen to while driving, especially if it is a scenic drive and you're just for a ride.

I miss the crackle sound that records make.

I didn't get my first cd player until 1997. You have me beat!

phlegmfatale said...

have always loved Groove Armada - I like trip-hop, ambient and pretty much anything atmospheric like that. Good stuff.

DBA Dude said...

Glad that you enjoyed it ladies.