Tuesday 16 October 2007

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

After my last rant time for some humour, first heard this on the radio back in the late seventies and was totally blown away by the story and the characters. In my view the greatest radio comedy that I have ever heard.

Read all the books, quite enjoyed the television series from the eighties (clunky special effects aside) but am not a fan of the movie made in 2005. While the special effects were great, the story arc is just to large to be cut down into a 2 hour film.

What the universe needs is for the makers of the new Doctor Who to remake the TV series using the radio scripts as a starting point.

In the meantime here is a clip from the old TV series featuring Zaphod, Ford, Arthur, Trillian and my personal favourite Marvin.

5 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

I like Marvin best, too. I remember watching this on tv in the early 80s on PBS. Great stuff.

Sezme said...

I sooooooo love the new Dr. Who! I watch it every Friday night.

I used to watch it all the time in the '80s when I was a teenager, also.

DBA Dude said...

You still awake rt?

Yes, the new Dr Who is great, have you seen the Torchwood spin off with Captain Jack?

Sezme said...

I don't think I've seen it.

(I actually fell asleep after watching a hockey game, but had a rough night of leg cramps, and ended up staying up until about 4am and got up at 5am. I usually get up around 3:30/4:00, but I was weary from the rough night. Darn Scottish genes and thyroid!...my Scottish genes, anyway. Well, if you want to get technical--darn those Romans who invaded Britain and made me have a thyroid problem!)

DBA Dude said...

Torchwood has the lead character of Captain Jack (who appeared in and "died" at the end of the first new Dr Who series - with Christopher Ecclestone).

Produced by the same team it is well worth a watch if you get the chance - only 1 series at the moment, Season 2 starts next year.

Here is a link to the BBC homepage for it.