Thursday 6 September 2007

Beer 101 - Guiness



I can still remember my first pint of draught Guiness, served in the sculpted Guiness glass of that time, perfection: dark base and a thick creamy head and it tasted as good as it looked.

Never looked back after that and for a long time after my move from the hills to Berkshire after graduation I refused to touch the “native ales”.

Fast forward to the late nineties and myself and the nephews are planning a New Year in County Mayo so we decide to cross the channel to stock up with cheap booze. Along with the wine we find draught flow Guiness cans brewed in Dublin (at that time those in the UK were all brewed in London) for sale - so we buy 96 cans to take with us.

Talk about coals to Newcastle, our Irish friends could not believe how much we had taken with us - think that we only got through half of them as the draught served in the pubs was much tastier.

So now I am off to drain that glass.

Slàinte mhath!

2 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Yum. I've always called Guinness the "liquid loaf." Stiff stuff.

Sezme said...

I will be having a Guinness or two tomorrow night after a long week and a trip to the movies. :) Have a great Friday!