Monday 24 September 2007

Coincidence Or Karma?

Now to start off I am using Karma is it’s non religious definition (ie fate/destiny) just to avoid any confusion out there. I was in the fair city of Sydney (Australia) as part of my round the world trip and although it was June (their winter) the sky was clear and bright so I decided to stroll into town after breakfast and take in the Botanical Gardens and get some pics of the Opera House.

It is a week day so the gardens are pretty empty and I while away the morning ambling around and taking in the sights, aforementioned Opera House, that bridge, ferries heading out across the bay etc. When it got to one I started to think that a beer and a bite to eat would go down really well, so I exit the park onto a large street and then select a cross street at random which will take me into the heart of downtown.

After walking a couple of blocks I hear a voice behind me saying “Hey, DBA Dude what are you doing here?” - it is A, an old school friend from the Highlands (we lived on the same street and had gone to school together from ages 5-17). “I could ask you the same thing” I replied, “I thought that you were in Adelaide?” (city just under 900 miles away).

Turned out that he was in town for a couple of days, staying in the hotel he was standing outside, waiting on his girl friends sister who was supposed to take him on a tour of the city - she was 15 mins late and he had just decided to give up on her when I walked past him (lost in reverie - well I was not expecting to see anyone that I knew in Sydney).

We chat there for another 10 mins and then head off to a bar and spend the afternoon drinking and catching up on news, we round the day off by having dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant - first time that I had tried that cuisine and I was very impressed. All in all a really, really great day.

So, Karma or Coincidence?

4 comments:

Sezme said...

Either way, you had a great time. :)

phlegmfatale said...

Wow - that is so cool! Um, coincidence, I'd say, but a pretty spectacular one!

DBA Dude said...

Still freaks me out today 23 years later, what if I had picked a different cross street ...

It was the first time in 3 months that I met someone I knew and the only other encounter with someone I knew on the trip was when I hooked up with little bro (prearranged) in San Francisco.

phlegmfatale said...

It IS a freaky thing...