Sunday 16 September 2007

Beer 103 - Hoegaarden Witbier


In honour of the F1 GP today at Spa-Francorchamps (my favourite car race track on the planet) I thought that a bottle of this would go down well. Pretty sure that this was the first Belgium beer that I ever drank back in the early nineties when eldest nephew was living and working in Brussels and I popped over for the weekend.

A wheat bear it has an unusual colour and taste - quite tart but with a smooth aftertaste and a great creamy head. If you have never tried a wheat beer then this is a very good place to begin.

Slàinte mhath!

4 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

First time I went to Europe (about 20 years ago) was to Brussels for the beer. I prefer the trappist ales. There's a pub in Dallas that often has a Trippel on draught that makes my toes curl. *heaven* But pretty much any Belgian brew will do, in my opinion.

DBA Dude said...

I am more of a fan of "quaffing" beers.

Put it down to a mega hangover after a night on Trippels :)

phlegmfatale said...

I have never had THAT much Trippel, but I rather fantasize about keeping a kegerator in my house full of Trippel. Or Chimay. or some such.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Hey, thanks for de-lurking over at my place! I've had Hoegaarden before, but more often order Konig Ludwig Weiss; when I start pronouncing it Konig-glug-glug, I know I've had enough.