Sunday 16 September 2007

Best Race of the Season?

Just got finished watching my recording of today’s MotoGP from Estoril (Portugal) and am having trouble finding words to describe it.

Back in the day when Senna was still alive I used to think that Formula One was the pinnacle of motor sport, however for the last five years or so it has been MotoGP for me. The fearlessness of these guys as they overtake at inches (or less) apart at speeds of up to and over 185mph is truly amazing.

Today was great, the top three guys in the championship (Stoner, Rossi and Pedrosa) battled it out for the whole 28 laps (mostly) and it was awesome.

So if you have never watched a MotoGP race before try to catch todays and experience something incredible, and if you have have, then I apologise for my words failing to capture/depict the beauty that is top class motor cycle racing.

6 comments:

Sezme said...

I've watched parts of races on a cable channel we have here (SPEED). At first it is out of curiosity and to see how crazy those guys are, but you kind of can't look away once you start watching. I do end up changing the channel at some point, but yeah...intense.

phlegmfatale said...

I met a streetracer in a sushi bar last week. He said he races 1000s and something else. We talked extensively about the thrill of it. I have scooter envy, I admit it. Amazing, that kind of nerve.

LBJ said...

I live 2 and a half miles from a big speedway. With the windows open you can hear it. Oval, dragstars Busch Series.

I grew up on Formula one. I had N.L.'s book on the Art and Science of Grand Prix Driving. I once snuck into the pits by putting on a tight jumpsuit, carrying a clip board and wearing a pair of aviation David Clark headsets (someone must have thought I was a timer girl or something). I started in the 80's and remember the Williams team dominating the mid-1990s with Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve (my favourite) driving their Renault-powered cars to world championships, interrupted by Michael Schumacher's two titles with Benetton. Then work, marriage, house, dog family interrupted and I didn't watch for years, until I was on my own again. It's nice to hear that sound again.

DBA Dude said...

rt, Know what you mean, sometimes it gets kind of "hide behind the couch" scary,

phlegmmy, I need to get out more, you keep meeting interesting people,

scully, Why am I not surprised that you are a mega petrol head. Senna was always my favourite driver and I have always wondered how many championships Schumacher would have won if he had lived.

LBJ said...

petrol head. . I like that. I was the only girl in a family of military men, my Mom died when I was young. I like planes, trains and automobiles MUCH better than dolls. (frankly I thought Barbie was a boring piece of fluff).

I have a photo of me and my old Barracuda, 67, rootbeer brown, in which I put a 440 big block. Vroom. .Vroom.

phlegmfatale said...

Yeah, you should prolly move to Texas!