Monday 12 November 2007

Beer 109 - Badger’s Tanglefoot


This helped to revive my brain last night, golden coloured with a hint of fruit in the taste it is one of my top 5 English ales. Weighs in at 5% abv and because it is so easy to drink it ought to be labelled “dangerous”.

According to the brewery’s web site the name derives from the first tasting session held by the head brewer, several were consumed and on rising to leave the head brewer experienced a loss of steering and Tanglefoot was born.

First came across in when holidaying in Dorset, we were staying in a barn on a hilltop and it was quite a trek down to the sea and from there along the coast to The Smuggler’s Inn.

Fine old building selling Tanglefoot, and it had hot and cold running water as well (the barn lacked such facilities) - so after an extended lunchtime session it was time for the return journey.

It seemed to take much longer than the outward trip - but that could have down to the effect of the beer on our feet.

And the reason that there is no head on the beer is that I had to replace the camera batteries after pouring it - not a very long lasting head but that is a minor quibble.

10 comments:

Sezme said...

A beer would sound good right about now, but I've enough carb-ridden stuff today. I'll have a hangover without alcohol tomorrow. Joy!

:)

I'll have to see if my liquor store carries this one. If you say it is smooth, then I have to try it. I like smooth. Ok...the sugar hasn't quite worn off yet.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Oooh...I'll have to go hunt for that one. Love the name!

DBA Dude said...

Sorry to disappoint ladies but Tanglefoot is brewed by a small independent brewery - so I am not sure if it is available on your side of the pond.

Still, happy hunting!

Sezme said...

Meh. Do you know of something similar with a bigger name?

phlegmfatale said...

Tanglefoot sounds glorious. The barn sounds neat, too.

DBA Dude said...

rt, I will need to think about that one.

Phlegmmy, the barn was a great place to get away from it all - really made you appreciate hot and cold running water when you returned.

McNoddy said...

You could always order online or pop round your local Costco where they usually do a crate of selected beers from the same brewery i.e. Badger's Mix. My favourite is Golden Champion, but the best named has to be Fursty Ferret. I love futrets!

But, if it's beer names to die for it has to be Skullsplitter!

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, good call on the Skullsplitter - great name and available in NJ as well, but at 8.5% abv maybe a tad strong.

From the same brewery, and seemingly also available in the US, Dark Island sounds like a closer match to Tanglefoot.

McNoddy said...

Dark Island is one of my top 5 (see my side bar) and actually quite unlike Tanglefoot, in that it is nearer a stout and quite malty.

Sezme said...

Thank you! :)