Thursday 22 November 2007

Zatoichi

Saw this film earlier this week and it totally blew me away. It is a classic tale of blind master swordsman taking on copious amounts of bad guys and defeating them.

The fight scenes are amazing to watch (not for the squeamish) with incredibly fast action but the film is much more than that. It is beautifully shot, contains a lot of humour and large parts of the story are told in flashbacks - and it ends with a rousing song and dance piece.

Written, directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano this is one fantastic movie, catch the trailer here.

I am informed by reliable sources that today is a holiday in the colonies/fledgling democracy/USA, so a happy holiday to all my readers in the US - and try not to overdo it on the eating front, there are only 33 days until Xmas.

6 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

LOL!

Thanks.

Thanksgiving Day is just the precursor to Christmas.

Sezme said...

Hey, at least we beat the British! ;p

Wait. I just made fun of my own ancestors. Except for one grandmother, I'm second generation American. Hmm...

YAY! Turkey!

Have a grrrrret day. (That's the Scottish way to say it. HA!)

DBA Dude said...

PD, You are welcome.

rt, Hope that your turkey turns out well.

dinamos said...

If you liked Zatoichi and Takeshi Kitano you might find a couple of his earlier films of interest:
- Fireworks
- Brother
They share the style of Zatoichi with violence that flairs up in a heart beat and is over just as quickly. But, be forewarned, they are wholly lacking the graceful cinematography and whimsical syncopated excursions that make Zatoichi one of his best films yet.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'd faint dead away if I saw that movie.

I carried out Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in my life. Let's just say no one over-ate...

DBA Dude said...

dino, thanks for the tips - I will keep an eye out for them.

gnightgirl, Hope that no trips to the ER were involved? :)