Wednesday 7 November 2007

John Peel

I own and listen to a pretty varied range of music (folk, reggae, blues, bluegrass, punk, dance etc etc) and while some picks came from family or friends the majority of them came from listening to Peel’s radio show over the years.

You never knew what was coming next on his shows and that was the fun in listening, some of the stuff that he played I just never got, but then through him I discovered a whole range of artistes whose music I just love.

Here is his favourite single by The Undertones - Teenage Kicks.

I will forever be grateful to him for introducing me to these guys - that song still makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise after 34 years. Listen out for the harmonies being supplied by Peter and Bunny - truly magical.

Sadly John passed away in 2004 at the age of 65 but his legacy lives on.

6 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Gosh, all the Peel sessions recordings I bought back in the day-- good stuff.

DBA Dude said...

A grand way to explore new sounds, did you know that his radio career started in Dallas?

Before you were were born though.

Sezme said...

Hmm...you might like the Arctic Monkeys.

DBA Dude said...

rt, How did you guess?

Sezme said...

English majors are doomed to a life of analysis and observation. ;)

phlegmfatale said...

WOw. No! I had no idea he started in Dallas. Amazing.