Thursday 13 December 2007

Beer 111 - Black Sheep Brewery - Black Sheep Ale


There is interesting tale behind this brewery, Theakstons had operated a family run brewery in the town of Masham for 5 generations when the brewery was bought out by the giant Scottish and Newcastle.

One of the sons (Paul Theakston) wanted to maintain the family tradition in the town, so he acquired premises and then scoured the land for old brewing equipment. When it came to naming the brewery he could not use his own name and sheep rearing was traditional to the area, so he ended up calling it Bclack Sheep Brewery.

That was around 15 years ago and the brewery is doing really well, for a more detailed back story visit their web site.

Now while the tale of small brewery versus mega brewers is pleasing they would not have got anywhere if their beers were no good.

I am more than happy to report that their beers are excellent, the Black Sheep Ale comes in at a respectable 4.4% abv and has quite a hoppy flavour, wish that I could get it on draught but it tastes just grand out of the bottle.

PS They rank very highly in my friend Noddy’s top five brews, though I know we would be headed for a wee stramash about what is the best Malt Whisky.

11 comments:

McNoddy said...

Aye, it's a fine drop. As to the whisky, I'd be as happy as pig in sharn to droon masel in Glenfarclas as long as you're buying! I mind one Xmas eve many moons ago fan I wis a loon sampling a fair buckit of same at the local hostelry and scunnering the old dear by nae haen the stomach to eat her lovingly prepared turkey and trimmings. Feel I ken, but richt guid at the time.

DBA Dude said...

We all did daft things as loons, you wid think that by 64 common sense might have kicked in, then again maybe not.

Sezme said...

Ok. I was going to try to write in Scottish (heh), but it just lacked something. Hmmm...liquor? ;P''''''

Sezme said...

Umm, yeah, chugging a bottle of vodka is right daft.

DBA Dude said...

rt, Noddy speaks fluent Doric, a dialect found in North East Scotland.

I was brought up just outside the catchment area but close enough to understand 95% of what he is saying.

Chugging a litre at the departure gate makes him a Darwin Award candidate.

McNoddy said...

I ken am auld but nae quite 64. Far wid wint tae drink voddie onywiy?

McNoddy said...

DBA/RT,

Da ken if I'm quite fluent but I hae a bash.

Noddy

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Agree with you on drinking voddie when some fine Malt must have been on sale.

Young loons and quines with no sense of taste I can understand but a 64 year old should have developed some taste buds.

Sezme said...

I can read and understand most of it. I just can't duplicate it.

My grandmom used to uses phrases every now and then. Usually when I was leaving...whatever it is for "you're leaving." Gan an wae (Am I close?)

I think her dad used to use it a lot, but I'm not sure what part of Scotland he was from. I always thought he was West Coast. My great-grandmother was Stirling.

I'm NJ. ;P I pronounce water as "wooder." HA!

DBA Dude said...

rt, Pretty close - "gang awaw" was probably what she was saying.

Well done on understanding the written word, you would probably have trouble with the spoken word - I know that I do at times.

Sezme said...

Gang awaw is what she used to say when I left her house.

I wish she had taught me more. She didn't even teach "gang awaw" until I was in my early twenties.

If I heard it up close and personal, I'd be lost. Scots speak quickly, especially in the northern areas. Add a dialect, and well, I'd probably just stand there, smile, and nod my head. :)