Friday 21 December 2007

Myths Debunked

Must be the time of year but in a report in the BMJ this week two doctors have debunked some widely held urban myths such as, we only use 10% of our brains or that mobile phones are dangerous in hospitals. Read all about the full list over here.

In a striking new interrogation technique Dutch police feed hash cake to a suspect, maybe they should try this approach in Gitmo?

Finally a photo slide show revealing how a boot maker in London hand craft their wares. Not being shoe obsessed (unlike some people that I know) I had never heard of them but they have been in business for over 150 years.

Their prices are pretty eye watering, £2,170 for leather shoes, £5,943 for crocodile ones and £621 for felt bath slippers (WTF?).

If you want close ups of their finished wares then check out their site.

5 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

*le sigh*

Fabulous photos of the last-making - what an incredible process.

Holy crap, and I thought my lusty little Louboutins were dear... Now $700 sounds downright modest. I thank you from the depths of my soles!

Sezme said...

So, John Milton didn't go blind from reading in dim light? I scare my students with that one all the time. Well, that and my 200+ pages of reading each night when I was in college.

I had a turkey sandwich today and then I had a two hour nap. I think the myth is true! ;P

The cake: A mistake? Yeah right.
The man had only nibbled at the cake and a doctor who was called to examine him said he suffered no ill effects.

Probably mellowed him out pretty well, though.

The Lobb slide show was interesting. I love watching how things are made and hearing people talk about their work in an interesting way. I dare say that their shoes are worth every penny. I'll never have enough pennies to afford that luxury, but wow...it would be nice to do so.

The first shot made me think that the store probably has an intense smell of leather. I love that smell.

DBA Dude said...

Phlegmmy, As soon as I saw those prices I thought of you and how good it would make you feel.

Looks like they are using the same techniques as 150 years ago, which probably explains the prices.

rt, turkey sandwich? careful you don't overdose on the stuff.

Those whacky Dutch police, why would they keep evidence in the fridge?

I got the same feeling about the smell on entering the shop.

Lin said...

You just made Phlegmmy's day - what a nice bit of Christmas thoughtfulness on your part!

DBA Dude said...

Lin, always happy to lend a helping hand at any time of the year.