Tuesday 11 December 2007

The Last King of Scotland

Watched this on DVD last night and thought that it was one of the best films that I have seen this year. A fantastic performance by Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin - he really nailed the charisma and brutality of the man - easy to see why he got the oscar for this portrayal.

Strong supporting cast with James McEvoy and KerryWashington catching the eye. Beautifully shot and a kicking sound track was the icing on the cake - but then I have had a thing for African music ever since I first heard the Bhundu Boys playing their jit music in ‘85 (H/T again to John Peel).

Not one for the squeamish among us but a cracking tale and well worth catching.

6 comments:

Sezme said...

I was thinking of buying that DVD; thanks for the tip. Forest Whitaker is highly underused in Hollywood. He's a really good actor.

I remember hearing about the hellish stories, especially what Amin did to missionaries. He was a brutal man.

DBA Dude said...

rt, The first leading role that I can remember seeing him in was Ghost Dog The Way of The Samurai.

Another wonderful performance, hopefully with an oscar under his belt he will get more roles.

phlegmfatale said...

Surprising I haven't seen that, as James McEvoy makes my heart flutter, except I prefer him with the furry with the furry pants he wore in Narnia. *hee!* Yeah, I'd hit that.

LOVE African music - when I was training as an opera singer, I was trying to break out of "park&bark" mode, needed to be more physically connected, so I joined my uni's African Percussion ensemble, where I drummed, sang and danced. The other classical vocalists thought I'd lost it, when in fact, I'd only just found it. We did Ghana music. It was one of the most transcendent things I've ever done.

Sezme said...

Did you ever see Cotton Club?

I think he's been in some military-type movies, too.

He really is underused. Every time I've seen him in something, I've thought he was really good.

DBA Dude said...

Phlegmmy, All types of African music rock - something in the rhythms methinks.

rt, According to imdb.com he was not in Cotton Club, good reference source for answering those niggling pub questions.

Sezme said...

Sorry, meant Rage in Harlem. Tap dancing, booze, clubs, similar settings...you know Hollywood.