Saturday 15 December 2007

Cider 101 - Thatchers Katy


An independent cider maker based in Sandford Somerset, Thatchers have been in business for over 100 years making a range of fine ciders.

Conveniently located around 6 miles from Hairy Nephew and Irish Lass’s home their farm shop is a must stop venue for me on my journey back to stock up with supplies at very reasonable prices.

This one is very dangerous, made from a single variety of apple (Katy) it is light to taste, crisp and slightly sparkling and yet is 7,4% abv - hence the wine glass in an attempt to restrain myself.

Extremely quaffable you really have to keep track of how many you have had or you can end up discovering that your legs have forgotten how to function.

No more posts until late Monday as I heading off down to visit my West Country relations (and the farm shop).

6 comments:

Sezme said...

Have a good trip.

That restraint is almost to the brim. Heh.

phlegmfatale said...

yum. Sounds (and looks) delicious!

Lin said...

Now you've got me remembering ciders which were far too smooth and tasty for my own good. Aren't they a delight?

DBA Dude said...

rt, yep and it is a pretty big glass.

Phlegmmy, it was and went down really well with my curry that night.

Lin, Good cider is always a delight to find - picked some up om my way home today.

McNoddy said...

Funnily enough I've been back drinking a fair bit of apple juice of late.... I blame Mr Magner ..... and enjoying myself with sometimes weird and sometimes wonderful finds. Katy was one of them. Katy is very light and deceptive. I think it is the best of Thatcher's offerings and unusual in being single varietal. Unlike you though, I just wade in with a pint glass!

DBA Dude said...

Noddy, Had the misfortune to encounter Katy on draught once - things got ugly :)

Their Gold is worth a try - only 5% abv and pretty tasty.